Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 5.9L gas engine, trans won't shift

Customer Question

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 5.9L gas engine, trans won't shift out of 1 gear and speedometer stays on 0 until about 31 mph, could this be the speed sensor on the transmission or do you think it could be the governor pressure solenoid and sensor, I was able to drive down the road at one point and shut the truck off and restart and then it would up shift.
JA: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: Red and full
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I haven't done anything yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: before it wouldn't shift out of first gear the other day, I would drive it and the speedometer was working fine I would have to get the rpms up pretty high and let off the gas then it would up shift.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. YES, this problem is either caused by a bad vehicle speed sensor or a wiring issue going to the vehicle speed sensor. I would check the wiring going to the vehicle speed sensor first and then replace the sensor if needed.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!