Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

I have a 2005 Dodge Durango and the Malfunction Indicator

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Dodge Durango and the Malfunction Indicator Light is on. I wanted to know what the possible problems could be?
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No. Where should I take it to get a trouble code?
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Dodge Mechanic to figure that out. Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nope. I would like to take it to someone to fix, but am not sure if it is an electrical thing or a simple fuse replacement.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hi! Good morning! Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today.

Most Dodge models, 2000 and newer, with a digital odometer can run a self-diagnostic. Let's give it a try....

Get in the vehicle, and close all the doors. Without starting the engine, cycle the ignition ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON within 5 seconds. Where the odometer is should now be displayed "p-codes" (ie. P0123) - Can I have these codes?

Make sure to end in the ON position, and do it quickly- within 5 seconds.

If you don't get it on the first try, cycle the ignition OFF. Wait 10 seconds. Try again. On your first try, it can be tricky!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sure I am not doing it correctly. I does give me a p-code. I will just take it to Autozone and see if they can give me an error reading. And I will figure out what to do from there. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

If you cannot get the self-diagnostic to work, then yes, AutoZone will read the codes for Free. If you get the p-codes and need help with what they mean or possible cause, please feel free to reply! I can help!