xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  asetech
6149662

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 liter V8. I just bought and

Customer Question

Hi so I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 liter V8. I just bought and it had apparently been sitting for around a year before I purchased it. i did some basic maintenance just because. The truck will fire right up and run and idle perfect for roughly 12 to 14 minutes, then it just dies as if you turned the key off. Oil pressure is good and it has gas in it. I replace the ignition coil, cap and rotor, ignition module/ cam sensor, evap unit, and i tested the fuel pressure in the rail and it was roughly around 50psi. I need some help and advice here its supposed to be my daily driver but i can drive a truck that dies after 12 minutes. So please if you could lend some expertise my way and help get my truck on the road. Thanks.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: it is in park
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i am and basically what i listed above is it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it will sometimes restart right after and sometimes it wont. as in it will just crank and nothing will happen and other times it will start and rev up like normal but then idle down and just die as if something is telling it to shut off
Category: Dodge
Expert:  xsvector replied 3 months ago.

did you replace the crank sensor?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no i did not
i was just replacing items that i thought could possibly be doing this and i was sick of spending money and throwing stuff in it and still not having it work. is there a way to test the crank sensor
Expert:  xsvector replied 3 months ago.

do you have a scan tool?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no but i borrowed one from and friend and there are no codes i could probably get it from him again if need be
i also replaced the ecm and didnt change anything so i returned it
Expert:  xsvector replied 3 months ago.

does the tach move when your cranking?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  xsvector replied 3 months ago.

was fuel pressure at 50 when it wont run?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
after it died i put the gauge in line and it was at about 54 psi i believe
Expert:  xsvector replied 3 months ago.

does it loose spark or injector pulse?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i only checked one plug for spark but it was there until it died obviously and it was strong
what do you mean injector pulse?
Expert:  xsvector replied 3 months ago.

There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
okay and people were saying the engine coolant temp sensor could possibly mess this up. the temp gauge inside the truck never moves off the bottom but it doesnt give a warning saying its over heating and does not act funny or anything it just dies.
And i know its running on all cylinders and it runs perfect when it is actually running so would this injector pulse kill the whole motor from just one injector because that doesnt really seem to make sense and i would find it very hard to believe that all injectors are bad
Expert:  xsvector replied 3 months ago.

well injector pulse is off crank signal if the crank sensor has a intermittent failure it would explain it

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Oh okay so you feel that this can happen even though the truck runs for like 14 mins on the dot almost every time. because that is confusing me that it dies at almost the same exact time every time
Expert:  xsvector replied 3 months ago.

if the crank sensor has a crack as it gets warm it generally makes them stall

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
alright i will try to replace it tomorrow and see how it goes
Expert:  xsvector replied 3 months ago.

let me know

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
will do and if it doesnt work do you think it could have anything to do with any temp sensors or the thermostat
Expert:  xsvector replied 3 months ago.

no on the thermostat..un likley on the temp sensor...but if the temp sensor is inop replace it they are dirt cheap

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
alright ill do that tomorrow then too and let you know how it all goes lets hope for the best
Expert:  xsvector replied 3 months ago.

great