bill
bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert
5203640

I've got the same U1417 code on a Dodge Grand Caravan. Just

Customer Question

I've got the same U1417 code on a Dodge Grand Caravan. Just replaced the bearing hub about 20000 miles ago. But I can hear the hub grinding when the wheel rotates and I can hear the steering binding as I turn it.
JA: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?
Customer: I have power steering and now that you mention that I hear a whine in the lower gears when accelerating
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Gathering info. I replaced the hub myself about 10 - 20 thousand miles ago. That is all I have done. The van has 230,000 miles and I have replaced three of the original hubs in the last 40,000 miles
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

what info are you looking for?

the biggest reason a front wheel bearing fails (sealed unit) is improperly torquing the center nut and it being too tight or too loose

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That is the most likely culprit. I may have over torqued the drive axle nut.
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

i don't have the year of your van so i can't get the exact torque spec but it AVERAGES 125 foot pounds

but in the field most tech's use an air powered impact gun to tighten the axle nut, it's rare to overtorque the nut but undertorquing is common as is discount store and even some higher quality but china made bearings

this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service

each expert is an independent "contractor" and is only paid for their time when you rate the service 3 stars or higher

any positive ratings allow me to assist you with this question in the future if you need