Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 2008 Caliber SRT4. Any time that I put the gas

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Caliber SRT4. Any time that I put the gas pedal down wide open throttle, I get the red lightning bolt. I've changed the throttle body today and I'm still getting the same issue.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 7 months ago.

if the red lightning bolt is setting then there is a fault stored in the computer i will need the code(s) to assist properly.

you will need to use a code reader or a better scan tool to get them

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I used a scan gauge. No codes have come up in the 5 times that I've tried.
Expert:  bill replied 7 months ago.

then you need a slightly better scan tool many times a code reader will not pull the ETC codes that light always means there is a code and there are about 20 different ones NOT all mean a bad throttle body, a coolant sensor, MAP sensor accelerator pedal can also all set the ETC lightning bolt and will ALWAYS set a code

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Which type of scan tool do you suggest? I always thought that Scan Gauge would be more than enough.
Expert:  bill replied 7 months ago.

i would run to advanceauto or autozone and use their rent a scanner program they usually have a decent scanner that can pull codes from most any module and usually the service is free

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In Canada, we have neither of those stores. Which store would you recommend for Calgary, Alberta?
Expert:  bill replied 7 months ago.

scangauge is DEFINITLY NOT anything more then a very basic data reader

i am in the USA i have no idea of the parts stores you have, actron makes a good scan tool as well as OTC these companies make scan tools and code readers in several different levels and you can decide on the features you need/want the more features the more $$$ but if you plan on doing any significant work on your car you need a real scan tool, actron is USUALLY the best price for features and usually well under 200.00 US dollars

there are literally tons of scan tools out there now in every price range, the one i am used to costs the dealer 30k plus a yearly subscription fee (yes dealers have to buy the scan tool the manufacturer wants us to buy and they set the price)

i would look over amazon's website and search CAN capable scan tools and definitely look at the ratings