Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Have a 2005 Durango 4.7 4x4. I changed the fuel pump because

Customer Question

have a 2005 Durango 4.7 4x4. I changed the fuel pump because one day as I was backing out it turned off on me and did not want to turn back on. the motor cranks over but does not turn on. the fuel gauge says low fuel and even the fuel light turns on. when I changed the fuel pump it had about 5 gal in the tank and that's more then enough to get it started. I checked the fuses and the changed the fuel pump relay with another relay that has the same part numbers. still nothing, I even changed the crankshaft position sensor and still the same thing. does anyone have any idea what could it be? does the transmission have anything to do with the Durango not starting? Like sensor wise? I would really appreciate some feed back on this problem. thank you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Will the engine start if you spray supplemental fuel in the intake? Starting fluid, fuel, wd-40, pretty much anything that burns will work. If it runs with supplemental fuel but then dies then we can check why the fuel pump isn't working.

Also, the fuel gauge is still pegged at empty after the fuel pump replacement?

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Remove the fuel pump relay and check for two powers to the relay with the key on.
If there is, jump terminal 30 to 87 and the pump should run. -You should be able to hear it buzz.

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Disclaimer:

Thank you for the opportunity. I love helping people fix their cars and saving them money. Please keep in mind that most problems will require some diagnosis to get them sorted out. I will be here to help until you are satisfied.

If you do not plan to rate my response please let me know as soon as possible. As an expert on Just Answer I only get paid for my service here based on positive ratings from you, the customer. If you do not plan to rate, and therefore compensate me for my time, I need to focus my efforts on customers who will.

Also, JustAnswer might send a message asking if you would like to speak via phone for an additional fee. That request is automated and not generated by me. We can communicate however you feel most comfortable.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Got new fullpump..an won't start by spraying starting fluid...but if it sets 4 or 5 days it will start..I give it gas an shuts off agen
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

If you jump the relay can you hear the fuel pump run?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Fuel pump is runing..even old one was runing...I sent u every thing in my evary first tex
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Sorry, the post that made it through to me said:

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

No mention of the fuel pump running, either now or before.

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Do you have a noid light to test for injector pulse? A test light to test for spark?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was tested an all new plugs..all r fireing...what has us going is it will start after it sets 4 or 5 days
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

When it does start, does it run normally until you shut it off and then it just won't start again?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It dose till u try to give it gas..then u got to wait a few days to start it again
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Are you getting a throttle position sensor trouble code in the computer?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No..something about 02 sensors is all it showed
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Dodges are funny about not wanting to run if the O2 sensors are shorted internally. It takes down the whole PCM communication network. If you know which O2 sensor it was you could unplug it and see if the engine will run. The vehicle should run fine without the o2 sensor, but it will set a trouble code.