david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

I refilled my Freon and air conditioning still isn't cold,

Customer Question

Hey I refilled my Freon and air conditioning still isn't cold
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?
Customer: I've checked both and also hooked a voltmeter to the relay and there is power to the compressor
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 97 dodge b2500 5.2 l v8 conversion van
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am so far the relay seems to be giving power, the wires seem to care power the compressor belt wheel is turning but the small wheel in front of the felt on the compressor wont start but can be turned by hand
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Dodge
Expert:  david craig replied 10 months ago.

Hi Im David, allow me a few moments to look up some info on your vehicle. thank you

check for power at the compressor. let me know the outcome. thanks

hello???

do you still need assistance?

Expert:  david craig replied 9 months ago.

check the ground wires for a voltage drop reading. A max voltage reading of 0.250 volt indicates a bad (shorted) wire connections. Do this with key on and reading must be done when engine is hot and cold. (Readings must be the same). The heater wires in order to work must have a power supply, which is normally 12 volts. . Always measure the voltage on that supply wire by using a voltmeter. However, to make sure it really works poke it with a test light and see if the test light will light up. Sometimes, it reads 12 volts on the tester but it is not strong enough to light a test light. This indicates a failing or corroded power supply wire.

If the heater wires proves OK, then your next task is to measure the signal wire to the computer terminal. Again you can do this by going to the computer pin and checking if you are getting the correct reading. You should get between 0.1volt to 0.9 volt when the engine is warmed-up. The reading must be oscillating and NOT stuck on one end or at the middle. To test the validity of the reading, you can manually lean-out the reading by disconnecting a vacuum hose. You can also enrich it by introducing a carb cleaner spray to your throttle

hows it going?