Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

2009 dodge journey will not move in any gear also will not

Customer Question

2009 dodge journey will not move in any gear also will not move in neutral
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Does it seem like maybe the shift linkage has broken and the shifter isn't moving the transmission from gear to gear? Can you hear the engine change speeds as you attempt to shift it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no it sounds like it goes into gear but when you give it gas it does nothing so i was going to pushit out where i can tow it and it will not move in neutral
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

This transmission relies heavily on correct fluid pressures-which can be up to 2000 PSI. If you plan to do any testing and diagnosis you will need very specific test equipment.

If the transmission linkage isn't broken and you can hear the transmission shifting, it just won't move then the transmission has suffered a catastrophic failure and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
was driving it and pulled into driveway and turned it off for 20 min. and came back out and it would not movethout of fluid but does not have dipstickso made one added some fluid and nouthing it was running fine noproblems shifting could it be something in brake systom abs light is on
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

It could be brake related, but it's not very common for the brakes to lock on like that. I've never seen it on a journey before.

If you remove the brake fluid reservoir cap does the rubber seal under the cap look normal or does it seem swelled up?

Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Do you still need help with this vehicle?