sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I reconnected my battery with the ignition switch on, this

Customer Question

I reconnected my battery with the ignition switch on, this caused a sudden flow of power, immediately my reverse gear failed to engaged. Do you think that my action caused damages to the transmission solenoid preventing the reverse from engaging. All the forward gears are engaging perfect. 2000 dodge grand caravan 3.8 lt engine. Took it to the dealership annbd they recommend to change the transmission
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There were no problems with transmission before all the forward gears are engaging perfect
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This problem wasn't caused by you reconnecting the battery. A loss of reverse only can either be caused by a failure of the reverse clutch or a geartrain issue. If reverse had slipped leading up to it not engaging or the fluid smells burnt then clutch failure is more likely, if it was an abrupt failure and the fluid smells ok it's more likely to be geartrain. The trans would either need to be disassembled for inspection and rebuild, or replaced.