Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

I am working on a 2006 Dodge 2500 truck. The number six

Customer Question

I am working on a 2006 Dodge 2500 truck. The number six piston failed.. Remove the engine and had number six sleeved. Install new pistons,ring . rod and main bearings. Also installed new oil pump and injectors. Installed the engine and engine started. After the engine ran for about three minutes the oil pressure would fall to zero. Cut the truck off and start it back up it would do the same thing. Remove the oil sending unit and installed a manual gauge. The engine had 11psi at idle and 60psi at 3000 rpms. The truck ran for about ten minutes and shut itself off. With the scan tool I am getting all six injector codesPO201 thru PO206. I have checked the wiring from the computer (driver and signal) to the connector at the gasket. I also checked the wiring from the connector to the injector.. The wiring is in ohms specs. Thinking the computer shut it down for no oil pressure signal. I first cleared codes with the scan tool. then I disconnected the batteries overnight. If you go to the read codes on the scan tool would get test passed. If you go to self diagnostic it reads the PO201 thruPO206 codes. Is there a procedure to reset the ECM? Any information would be helpful.
JA: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?
Customer: New oil pump from dodge. Did not have engine light on while running
JA: Are you fixing your B2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Read my message.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

I would start with disconnecting the injector harness and ohm the injectors. Because of the way this is wired 1 shorted or open injector can cause your concern.

Did you replace #6 injector? If yes did you enter the injector flow rate into ECM with a scanner?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I replaced all six injectors. I have also ohmed out the injector wiring harness. I also checked the driver and signal wires for continuity. I also checked the fused wires to the computer for power. I have 50 years of experience as a mechanic. I want to know if running the engine with the oil pressure sensor disconnected it would shut the truck down. It was running fine with a manual oil pressure gauge installed with the sensor disconnected. Engine shut down and will not restart.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 month ago.

Hi there.

The ECM will derate the engine and put it in "reduced performance/limp in mode" if it detects low oil pressure, but won't shut it down completely.

As per your symptom description and the codes you posted, the problem seems to be the ECM is not detecting the injectors - most common cause is open pass-through connectors. However, if the injectors can be activated with the scan tool, then the issue is most probably caused by a bad ECM.

Hi again.

Were you able to activate the injectors with the scan tool?