Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I have a 2002 ram 1500 4x4 with the 4.7 engine, auto trans.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2002 ram 1500 4x4 with the 4.7 engine, auto trans. Yesterday I was driving home from work on the freeway, and at about 70 mph, the speedo jumped erratically up and down from 70 to 60 with the trans bucking at the same time. I ended up replacing the throttle position sensor last night and got it home with no problems. Drove 20 miles to work today with no problems. Get out of work and it was a bit hard to start, and did the same thing coming home again on the freeway. It has also just stalled while at a stop a couple of time now too. Could this be a Trans speed sensor ?
JA: Does the vehicle hesitate during acceleration? Or maybe speed up suddenly when you aren't even hitting the gas?
Customer: Does not seem to hesitate, but is has been idling low (at about***** and sometimes around 650 where it usually is. Have owned the truck since new and have about 189,000 miles on it.
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I have just replaced the throttle position sensor last night.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of now.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 3 months ago.

Hi there.

That kind of symptom usually triggers a code - perhaps not the kind that turns on the check engine lamp, but a code nevertheless.

My advice would be to have the system scanned with a capable scan tool (not a code reader). We can make a better assessment of the situation once we have that information.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no check engine light came on....I will try to get it scanned asap.Thank you!

Please let me know when you do.

Best Regards.