xsvector, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  asetech

1999 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummings, auto transmission. Check

Customer Question

1999 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummings, auto transmission. Check engine light came on - cleared it by disconnecting batteries. Now the OBDII won't reset and I can not pass CA smog. Took it to dealer and had it "flashed." I've driven it 800 miles and it still hasn't reset. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 2 months ago via OnlineAutoRepair.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OBDII is the only reason the vehicle will not pass smog. Everything else is fine. I took it to a diesel expert in the area and he couldn't fix it. He suggested I have it flashed at the dealer. I contacted a CA state smog referee and was told to take it to the dealer and have it flashed. Took it to dealer and had it flashed, after it was flashed everything reset except the OBDII monitor. Dealer said to drive it for 300 miles and take it on a long drive. I have been driving it in traffic daily for two weeks and took it to Vegas and back for the long drive - total 800 miles since being flashed. Took it to smog station today and OBDII not reset - won't pass.
Expert:  xsvector replied 2 months ago.

so is the engine light on or just readiness monitors incomplete?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just readiness monitors incomplete.. When I took it to The Diesel Place (actual name of business), they cleared any codes that were in the system. I have no idea what they were.
Expert:  xsvector replied 2 months ago.

how many miles ago were the codes cleared?every time you reset codes a drive cycle will need to be performed to get readiness monitors set

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Over 1,000 miles ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The flash was done about 800 miles ago. Approx 300 miles of town driving done and approx. 500 miles to Vegas and back.
Expert:  xsvector replied 2 months ago.

does it have a tune? stock ecm? any pending codes? what monitors are incomplete?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Has a Banks "Big Hoss" tune - I contacted them, they stated it doesn't effect the system that it is only reactionary to the stock system and only enhances what it is sent....(BS???) I don't know of any pending codes. Printout I got from Smog station yesterday says: Continuous Monitors;
Misfire: Ready, Fuel System: Ready, Comprehensive Components: Not Ready
Expert:  xsvector replied 2 months ago.

can you try it with out the tune?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The Banks has been on the truck for approx. 6 to 8 years. This is the only time the truck has not passed smog. I got up under the dash and was lost! I was going to try and undo it but I couldn't figure out what was what - couldn't figure out what to unplug and then where to re-plug it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just re-contacted Banks and they helped me disconnect the tuner. Now that it is disconnected I need to put the truck through a drive cycle to see if the monitor will reset... according to them they have never had this problem with their tuner. Anyway, I will need to drive the truck for a few days and see if it resets.... How can I reach you to let you know if the problem has cleared or not? Also, how long am I able to wait before this session/Q&A will expire? I am going out of area for a while and won't be back until Sept 12th.
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 month ago.

respond here after you drive it for a couple days

Expert:  xsvector replied 1 month ago.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks John - I will get back to you in a couple of days... Any guess on how many miles (approx) I will need to drive to see if it resets? Banks said approx 100 - seems low to me.
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 month ago.

let me know!

Expert:  xsvector replied 1 month ago.

do you have a scan tool to check monitors? if not a cheap harbor freight or auto parts store cheap scan tool may be a good idea

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No scan tool - I'll take it to the Smog Station, they'll do it for free..and if (when) it passes I can just smog it then.
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 month ago.

ahh ok