Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

Looking to but a 1991 dodge b350 van. owner says it was

Customer Question

looking to but a 1991 dodge b350 van. owner says it was running and the engine will turn over but has "no spark" Is there some kind of engine control module or the like that control the ignition system/ I have had similiary problems on other vehicles tha I have owned.
JA: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?
Customer: don' really know. I am looking for an expensive cargo van that I will only use occasionally. So what questions should I ask to diagonose. Don't want to buy something that will cost me a bundle to fix.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't even seen it yet. Just trying to get some ideas of what I would be looking at in terms of fixing it.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: here is what the current owner said:1991 Dodge B350 cargo van (former Boeing vehicle). I've owned this van for over 12 years and have never had an issue until now. Engine turns over but no spark. No time to troubleshoot and fix myself so its time to sell her off.
This is a two seat, extended cargo van with plywood throughout the cargo area. Engine is a 5.9L, throttle body injection V8, automatic transmission with overdrive and ABS. Also has the factory steering box upgrade as well as trailer hitch receivers front and rear. Tabs good through 2017. I have an "affidavit in lieu of title" so title transfer is no problem. Original factory production papers and owners manual.
You will will be very happy once you get her to spark again. Bring a tow vehicle or trailer and $400 cash. Just what questions should I ask?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have not seen this vehicle so I have do not have any info other what I have shared. I am looking for a list of questions to ask the owner and based on what I get in response to those questions, then I will decide if I want to pursue the matter further. If you can help, that will be fine, if not that will be fine as well, I will just continue my search for a suitable vehicle.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

NO problem. I understand. I would like to help. My question to you is are you just looking for possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think that is more complex and will require more effort than I am willing to spend on it. So lets just call it off and I will look elsewhere to find what I need. I do appreciate your help and realize that I may have been asking for answers that are no easily found.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

I can help diagnose this condition. I do this for a living.

However, I will be here if you have any further questions.