Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

I'm a Wilson too (and oddly enough, grandmother's maiden

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I'm a Wilson too (and oddly enough, grandmother's maiden name was Pearl...) Recently replaced exhaust maniforld on driver's side 2000 Durango, 4.7, as well as driver's side cv joint and wheel bearing. Had to disconnect the intermediate steering link to remove the manifold.
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: All work done with no issue, however, now I don't have cruise control and air bag light is on. Horn works. Speedo works. Fuses are good for airbags. I know people think clockspring, but thinking something got disconnected during the repair. 167,000 k
JA: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: mileage improved 3.5 per gallon highway with exhaust manifold repair, and another 1.5 with wheel bearing. No slop in bearing but once off, it sounded like broken glass in the roller bearings and rotor was very hot. I'm presuming lots of drag. Anyway, car's running better than ever save for the cc and air bag fault.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess the question is could I have disconnected anything during the repair that would have effected cc and airbag light. I'm hesitant to jump to clockspring thinking I've done something during the repair.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did do a lock to lock check of the steering wheel from the cabin to find center for the friend that was reconnecting the intermediate steering linkage. I think if the clockspring was bad, I'd have no horn. At least from what I've been able to learn.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
lastly, my son has a tendency to lower the steering wheel to lowest position, while I use it at the highest. I know there's some opinion that constant up and down of the steering wheel can cause wiring damage. Again, the issue didn't start until after the above repairs.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Did you lock the steering wheel when you remove the intermediate shaft? if the steering wheel moved when you were repairing you may have broke the wires in the clockspring when turning the wheel after repair.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I moved from left to right but didn't force it. I wanted to find center for reconnecting the steering link.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

There may be a steering angle sensor on the rack, near the intermediate shaft. Do you remember unplugging something around the shaft?

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

The cables in the clockspring are only so long, if the wheel was turned either way it can cause this.

You need a scan tool that can read air bag codes. This will narrow the problem down.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No. There was that one bolt to remove the linkage. I don't recall seeing any electrical connections, but certainly can check. We're on the same path that there must be some communication between the down range stuff and the steering wheel electronics. My thought was something must have been interrupted to impede that communication. Where is that connector located? Is it inline with the linkage, or somewhere else? And is it an "auto type" connector?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sounds stupid, I know, but a connector that you can never figure out how to disconnect before you break it... a combination of pins and plastic locks that connect the two sides.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The only electrical connection that was disconnected and replaced with a new one was the abs sensor when I did the wheel bearing, and that went fine.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

A scan tool is needed to narrow this down. If you scan you will know for sure where the problem is.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have an OBDII, unfortunately it's at my buddy's house. Will an OBDII read the code? What code should I look for? What will it tell me? And after I do that, how much time do I have to get back to you with further questions?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Lastly, if I need to replace the clockspring, I've seen conflicting information whether or not you need a steering wheel puller. Do I need one to replace the clockspring in the 2000 Durango?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

The obd scanner may not work, it needs to have airbag capability.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where is the steering angle sensor? And how much time to I have to get back to you?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

I am looking into this, no steering angle sensor. They did not start using them until 2004

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, let me know. Is this conversation open until we get some more definitive information?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Yes, posts close in 7 days.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Yes get the air bag module scanned and let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
will do.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Dan, I ran an OBDII scanner and there were no codes. I also ran a Blue Driver and there were no codes. All fuses are good. Not sure what the problem is. Is there a way to test the clockspring? But again, the horn works, so I'm not sure, if the clockspring failed, if the horn would work. That said, if the horn works, does that rule out the clockspring? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Most OBD2 scanners will not read air bag codes, you will need a high end scan tool to do this.

Yes if the horn works it is probably not the clockspring. Although I have seen clocksprings fail and the horn still works because only the air bag wires are broken in the spring and the horn wire is still attached.