Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I need to I'm trying to get the check oil light to go off on

Customer Question

I need to
I'm trying to get the check oil light to go off on my 2001 town and country tried to hold trip rest down for 10 seconds than turn key to obn position 3 times , guess I didn't hold my toung right cuz it didn't work .. any sugestions??o know how to
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

HI,

Is this the oil pressure light, the oil level indicator, or the oil change reminder indicator?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think its the oil indicator light its red oil can
Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

HI,

That is the oil pressure light.

This light comes on either due to low oil pressure from oil level being low, oil pressure switch faulty or unplugged, or actual oil pressure issue

If you just changed the oil or had it changed, make sure the oil level is correct..

If ok, the oil pressure switch is on the side of the oil filter housing and may have gotten the plug knocked loose, so you want to check that - see attached.

If above is ok, then the oil pressure needs to be checked with mechanical oil pressure gage. To do this, the oil pressure switch is removed and the gage installed in its place and pressure tested

OIL PRESSURE
Note: (at normal operating temperature)

@ Curb Idle Speed - 5 psi
Note: If pressure is ZERO at curb idle, DO NOT run engine at 3000 rpm.

@ 3000 rpm30 - 80 psi

If pressure within specs, replace the switch.

If not, then oil pump is failing

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.