Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I'm trying to get the check oil light to go off on my 2001

Customer Question

I'm trying to get the check oil light to go off on my 2001 town and country tried to hold trip rest down for 10 seconds than turn key to obn position 3 times , guess I didn't hold my toung right cuz it didn't work .. any sugestions??
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Is this the oil light that is red and looks like an oil can with a drip of oil coming off of it??

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Does that light look like this?? CLICK HERE

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that's it ... I would like it to go away .. that and its friend the bell !!!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
are you coming back ???
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Sorry for the delay....

Unfortunately, there is No "reset" procedure for that lamp. That is a warning lamp that is telling you that you have NO OIL PRESSURE.

To get this light to go out you must find out why there is no oil pressure. First check is to be sure that the oil is FULL. If the oil is full and the light is still on it is HIGHLY recommended to NO LONGER DRIVE THE VEHICLE until you have it checked out by a mechanic. You may have a failed oil pump that if no oil pressure is present you WILL cause catastrophic engine damage. Although it could be something as simple as a wiring problem or a failed oil pressure sensor. Either way, get this checked out NOW before driving it any further...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok will do .. I wont drive it anymore till someone looks at it .. when driving as I excelerate the light goes off for a moment the comes right back on when I come off of excelerator... maybe pump is reacting to the exceleration of the motor seems the light is even on while excelerating today getting worse mabe pump is giving out completely I let someone use my van and they returned it needing 2 qts of fluid in the iol and 3 qts of tranny fluid .. not good .. I brought fluids back to proper level but the dummy light would not go back off( oil light)
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

From your last post, I'm beginning to think that the damage may already been done especially if you are hearing abnormal sounds from the engine. Accelerating the engine makes the oil pump spin faster, this in turn raised up the oil pressure and got the light to go out. When you release the accelerator the oil pressure drops again causing the light to go on. If the light will no longer go out when you accelerate the engine, I suspect that either the pump has totally failed or you have already experienced catastrophic engine damage..

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>> My Profile Page <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.