Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I've got an '06 Dodge Stratus SXT. 2.4L dohc, automatic

Customer Question

I've got an '06 Dodge Stratus SXT. 2.4L dohc, automatic transmission. Starts, runs great, drives great, but.... WILL NOT GO OVER 3500 Ram's!!! I've replaced:
Crank sensor
Cam sensor
Coil pack
Plugs and wires, timing belt and components
Coolant sensor
Coolant and thermostat
Any and all suspect vacuum lines.
What the hell is this problem, and what is the fix?!?! I've done hours of research and hour of diagnostics! No code, nothing unusual.... I need to get this fixed somehow
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I need the cause of the problem
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Hello and good morning! I can help you figure out the caust of the problem. But first, it needs to be diagnosed. Would you be wiling to speak on the phone? I do work all day today but will be on line later tonight. We can talk on the phone then or we can continue on this page for as long we need to until we get to the bottom of this problem. I will say that a phone call will go much faster helping get to the bottom of the problem.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We can talk on the phone if you'd like. Just need this issue solved. I have two vehicles down with similar/same issues. Both Dodge's
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! A phone call is extra but I can send it over for the lowest amount possible which is $5. Is that going to be OK? I will be available for the rest of the day today and tomorrow.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Let stick to this thread than. What might this problem be?
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

No problem. I suspect a base engine mehanical problem. Either the valve timing is incorrect or the intake/exhaust is plugged.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would that cause the oscillating in the engine? It'll go up to 3500 rpm's, then violently revs between 3400 rpm's and 3600 rpm's
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Yes Sir!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Plugged cat? The timing belt was replaced and engine retimed. Crank and cam sensors are synced, and everything checks are. Good vacuum, and exhaust pressure seems fine
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

What is the engine vacuum at?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Scanner says 15-17 hg
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

There is the problem. Thats too low.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Every vehicle I've ever scanned runs an he of 14-20
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just put a brand new motor in a Ford Explorer. Idles steady at 16-17 hg
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Send me a picture

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I still need to know what might be the problem. Given the symptoms, what is it? Have you ever seen this problem before? I need someone who has seen this problem before and found a solution
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Yes sir. I have seen this many times. Just like I mentioned before, plugged exhaust or incorrect valve timing are the most likley causes.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Alright, I'll check exhaust system and get back to you. Seems odd though... Wouldn't a plugged cat be making the o2's go frantic? Why wouldn't there be a b1s2 lean code, or a b1s1 rich code?
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

You cant rely on the oxygen sensor readings if the exhaust is plugged.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello. So, I just checked the catalytic converter. It's in perfect condition. I even tried removing it, and running the engine... No change
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

What is the exhaust back pressure at?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would that be kind of like the manifold pressure for the exhaust? No idea. Doesn't seem to matter. With the exhaust hooked up or not, it runs exactly that same. Oscillating really bad at 3500 rpm's. And a new symptom has come up. When the AC compressor kicks on, it starts misfiring really bad. Even at an idle
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

No, manifold pressure is vacuum. Exhaust has pressure. It there is too much pressure that is a problem and will cause a restriction which can and will cause this problem.

Can I please get the VIN?

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

Let me know!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just did a fuel pressure test. It's running at a steady 58 lbs
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Even when it revs up, it's staying at 55-60 lbs
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The misfire issue has been solved! The ignition coil was burned up due to a bad spark plug wire. It idles smooth now, but we still have the same oscillating issue at 3500k rpms
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Hello! This problem is due to an engine breathing problem and possibly incorrect valve timing. It is also related to the low engine vacuum. I am still waiting for a picture of the engine vacuum. A video would be better. I would be willing to bet this is related to the burned up ignition coil.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ignition coil pack had been replaced. Twice now
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Right. I suspect it is related to this issue (oscillating at 3500 rpm).