Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

2003 5.7 Hemi will only run on cylinders 1-3-5-7. I can pull

Customer Question

2003 5.7 Hemi will only run on cylinders 1-3-5-7. I can pull the #2 plug and get spark when I turn it over and the fuel log is full of fuel with pressure. Does it mean the fuel injectors aren't getting the signal to open? Why?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, did you remove and install the engine or did a shop?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I removed it myself, the entire chassis is actually being restored with a 1954 Dodge truck body on the chassis.

Nice! well since you installed it yourself, im assuming and the head work was done by a shop? then retiming the engine obviously was part of the install, but lets put that aside for now. do you have a noid light? to check for injector pulse?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I don't have a noid light but I'm willing to pick one up, do you have a brand/model suggestion or is there something else I can use?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How would I get back with you after I get the noid light to continue this diagnosis?

if you have a harbor freight near you they have a noid light kit for fairly cheap. i really recommend a noid light just to be sure of the strength and frequency of the pulse.

this thread will be open to continue for as long as you'd like.

it doesnt cost a penny more to continue

any update?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, I got a noid light, all the injectors seem to be working, I also used the noid light on the coil connectors and they all seem to be working also, although the light is a little more steady rather than blinking like the injector signal. Of course the engine didn't run much but I did get some heat from the exhaust manifold on both sides of the engine, so all cylinders may be firing, but, it just doesn't run. It will start and idle roughly, if you give it throttle it changes a little but not much. It is like the timing is significantly off and I don't know how that is adjusted on a fuel injected engine with no distributor.

you are going to have to check compression on bank 2 cylinders

did you check compression?

any update??

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 month ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

It looks like the previous expert has decided he's out of ideas and has opted out.. Do you still need help with this? If yes tell me what the compression is on all the cylinders..

Talk soon,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've checked the compression on all the cylinders, they range from 120 to 160 psi, the engine has 162,000 miles on it, the heads have been completely redone but nothing to the bottom end. The engine will start (easily) and if nothing is touched it idles rather rough around 800 rpm, if you touch the throttle (drive by wire unit) the idle will pick up to 1100 rpm and run quite smooth. No matter how much you open the throttle it stays at this rpm, when you do not touch the throttle it will drop the rpm and go back to rough running. All the injectors are working and all the coils are working. When I unplug the unit in the throttle body (I don't know exactly what it is but it is not the mass air sensor in the intake housing) when the engine is running rough it will smooth back out also. Everything ran fine when I started the project but the engine and complete harness have been removed and put back in. Perhaps the throttle control is faulty? Is there a way to check it before buying a new one?
Thanks, ***** ***** an after hour project so I am sometimes not able to respond immediately.