Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

Newly replaced rear VES screen now not showing proper aspect

Customer Question

Newly replaced rear VES screen now not showing proper aspect ratio....
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2012 Dodge Journey R/T
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: going into the settings menu on the screen and trying to select the proper aspect ratio does not solve problem. Movies that had been playing full screen (ie movie fills to edges of screen) now show bars on top and bottom and movies looked "squeezed"
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Did you replace the screen with a OEM factory screen?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the dealership replaced with a new oem screen. Looks identical to the one we had. I did call uConnect and spoke with a tech there, and they agreed with me saying that yes if the movie is a "widescreen" film and the front and rear screens are set to "widecreen" or "auto" the movie should fill the screen to the edges. If the movie is 4:3 then of course there will be black bars on the left and right but the image should touch the screen on the top and bottom.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

If it was not like that before the screen was replaced, what did the dealership say about it? If you have tried adjusting it then it could be a bad screen. Why was the screen replaced?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The screen was replaced because it would not turn on. Now it turns on, but the movie won't fill the screen. When I called the dealer, their tech said "that's the was it's supposed to be". BS. Just so happened my kids had a video from inside the car on our vacation last December (road trip Texas to Vegas). As the camera pans around, you can clearly see a movie playing filling the entire screen. I put the same movie in today--there's a 3/4" black area on the top and bottom of the movie. When I called the dealership again after this discovery, he said "I don't know what to tell you, because as far as I know that's normal and there's really nothing to be done". That's when I called uConnect and spoke to their tech support and they confirmed that wide screen movies should fill the entire screen.