Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Wipers only work on high.Also noticed that my" check washer

Customer Question

Wipers only work on high.Also noticed that my " check washer fluid" stays on constantly even though it's full.Im not sure if these problems are realated .This is for a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd.Im hoping you can help.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know if there is power to the wiper motor?
Customer: Checked fuse in the fuse compartment in my truck.It was ok.I didn't check the relay under the hood yet.I have to pull the wipers by hand to get them working.Im hoping to find out where or what to fix without going to a garage and spending a lot
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, checked the fuse.im wondering if it's a relay in the control box under the hood or maybe the module under the dash
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I thinks that it. Thank you
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Clayso replied 3 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description most likely the wiper motor is at fault. Fairly simple circuit to check. With the key on and the wipers on low verify there is battery voltage on the brown/white wire at the wiper motor. If there's battery voltage and the wipers don't work the motor is at fault. If there is no power at the motor on low check the same brown/white wire at the switch. You can also swap the wiper relay with another like relay. I like using the horn relay so I can easily check the relay after swapping. If the horn works after swapping relays the relay is good.

The washer is most likely the pump, sometime you can tap on the pump to get it going. You can also check this circuit with a voltmeter connected to the 2 terminals from the pump. Operate the washer switch and there should be battery voltage at the pump's connector.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Thanks.

Expert:  Clayso replied 3 months ago.

Hi There,

I noticed you had viewed my answer, and I hope the information I gave was helpful. Let me know if you have followed through with my recommendations. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.