Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Starts and runs hard acceleration goes into limp mode have

Customer Question

Starts and runs hard acceleration goes into limp mode have codes p2047,p2015,p2019,p2051. Replaced from fuel pressure valve in rail and ecu
JA: Have you changed the oil on a regular basis? And what about the timing belt? Has it ever been replaced?
Customer: Oil regular timing belt no
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2004 sprinter 2.7 diesel
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am a diesel mechanic
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Did you get the list of replacement items . Air filter ok removed exhaust no difference hp fuel registering high on scan tool. Snap on ethos
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

I am researching this concern for you and will get back with you as soon as possible, Thanks for your patience while I gather the information needed for your answer. Please post a reply to let me know that you still need help with this concern.. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

First question I have for you before I can answer.

I need to know when was the most recent fuel filter replacement done? How many miles??

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Fuel filter replaced 300miles didn't change a thing checked all hoses with pressure for leaks none found . I am a 45 yr diesel tech on cat Cummings Detroit Mercedes ford gm . Gut feeling possible wiring short causing to die, but will immediately restart
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Has the engine had recent work where the wiring may have had to be disconnected?

I have seen similar issues caused by a couple of crossed connectors. Look at the Fuel Quantity Solenoid connector and the PCV heater connector. These connectors are close enough together and come out from the same location in the engine harness that it is real easy to inadvertently cross these two connectors.

Do something for me and inspect these two connectors to make sure that they are connected to the right component.

I'm posting a pic showing the two connectors in question. It's easy to tell where they go as the outside of the connectors are different but the actual plug still connects to the wrong part.

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Check the two connectors and let me know what you come up with...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I checked the connecter and they are correct and no corrosion on any of the connectors
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Now check the engine harness near the intake manifold. There is a corner on the driver side of the intake manifold where the wiring runs near. The wiring can rub through and cause issues and stalling. See the following pic

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Also check the areas below the fuel filter and by the battery and brake master cylinder. Check all these areas carefully for signs of the harness rubbing on sharp edges nearby..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dear ***** this is Dean I have opened up the harness from injectors to firewall,no damaged wiring or corrosion opened wiring under mc and to the abs controller no signs of wiring issues left wiring harness open and reassembled and ran to check if problem changed, no change run engine up to governor runs for 30 sec to 2min and goes into limp mode and the same codes return, no more no less. You shut it off and restart it runs up against gov and repeats.
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Another thing that comes to mind is the "Fuel Quantity Solenoid". This solenoid controls fuel flow from the injection pump to the fuel rail to help control rail pressure. If the valve is stuck it could be causing excessive fuel to the fuel rail causing over pressure...

Let me see if I can find some diagnostic procedures for you.

I'll be back with you asap..

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am waiting on the diag for the fuel quantity solenoid , I believe the solenoid is on the back of the intake. It has been changed 2 times, what does the switch,or solenoid on the front of the fuel rail control or monitor? And I'd there a diag for it. Also food for thought is there any fuel rail control for the trans,now I can hold the throttle against the governor and it will run at 4000 to 4200 continually without going into limp mode which it would never do before but still goes into limp when hard accelerating. Did not see any wiring concerns. (Pulling my hair out) not that much left, lol
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Hi, Sorry for the delay.

The Solenoid on the back of the fuel rail is called the "Fuel Pressure Solenoid". The "Fuel Quantity Solenoid" is mounted to the injection pump.

It is attached to the connector on the right that I posted a pic of the two connectors that sometimes get the connectors swapped.

Here is a link showing an injection pump out of the vehicle, the solenoid to the far left is the Fuel Quantity Solenoid..

Click Here

The Unit on the front of the fuel rail is the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. This could also be at fault if it is inaccurately reading the rail pressure.

Basically the diag for the pressure sensor is to monitor rail pressure with a scanner with the engine off. If the reading is more than plus or minus 200 psi with engine off, the sensor is bad and needs to be replaced. If I'm correct, this sensor only comes with a new Fuel Rail which will also come with a new fuel pressure solenoid.

You stated: " I can hold the throttle against the governor and it will run at 4000 to 4200 continually without going into limp mode which it would never do before but still goes into limp when hard accelerating."

This is because with engine under a no load condition the requirements are different for fuel delivery unloaded as opposed to being loaded under heavy acceleration while moving..

Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Here is the diagnostic procedure for the codes you posted, let me know if you will be needing wiring diagrams and connector pin charts and for what circuits...

Diagnostic Procedure --->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, Please kindly "Rate" my service, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you and thanks for asking your question!