Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I Have a RV with a Cummings 300hp. It has not been started

Customer Question

I Have a RV with a Cummings 300hp. It has not been started in over year. Charged batteries and trie to start. Turn key and nothing. Not even starter engaging.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Before you go any further, since it has been sitting a year, the batteries may actually be bad. At this time, I recommend to remove both batteries and take them to have them load tested. If they fail the load test, replace batteries as necessary..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the batteries were load tested before I put them in they tested fine
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Now what you need to do is to determine if power is getting to the starter at both terminals. The large terminal should have battery voltage at all times, the smaller terminal should get power when you turn the key to the start position. Get yourself a multimeter or test light to make sure that you are getting power at the starter and also when you turn ignition to start position on the smaller wire at the starter.

Post back the results..

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>> My Profile Page <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.