Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Intermintit power loss, engine light on, black smoke through

Customer Question

Intermintit power loss, engine light on, black smoke through exhaust. 2003 107000 miles. No codes now from i980 scanner, did have one previously for low voltage terminal 15
JA: Has your vehicled stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: No stall just running rough with black smoke
JA: What is the model of your '03 Dodge?
Customer: 2500 freightliner
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes on dyi. Changed brake switch.had trouble with them in past
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Hit pedal seems like in limp mode but then takes off
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the check engine light on now but no codes are set in any of the computers in your model?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
correct
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

In most all cases when I have had issues with the check engine light on but 0 codes set in any computers and you also have a running issue with the black smoke this is usually a fault with the engine computer itself needing replaced.The engine computer controls the signal to the cluster for this light to be on like this here and also controls injector signals.If there is an internal fault in the computer it may be commanding this light on with no codes set as well as the injector/over fuel issues needing replaced.I have had to replace the computer before for issues similar to this here.

The black smoke is most common caused by a fault with injectors needing replaced but with the engine light on this is leaning more towards a fault with the engine computer itself.

I would have this checked into/tested further to verify this.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
was hoping for more than take it in and get checked. i would like a refund
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

If you would like I can opt out and open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete