Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I have a 1987 dodge w150 pickup truck. it has a distriburtor

Customer Question

i have a 1987 dodge w150 pickup truck. it has a distriburtor with no vacuum advance. the advance is supposed to be controlled by a computer inside the front fender well that measures the vacuum and electronic adjust the timing. it sucks the timing always seems off. can I put in some type of other distributer.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Why do you feel that the timing is always off? What is happening that you think it is off? Where do you think the timing should be and where is it at and what is it doing? You stated you installed a vacuum advance distributor but still not right. Explain fully please...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
okay i had the engine rebuilt the shop cut the vacuum lines so after the rebuild i put them back according to the chilton vacuum diagrams. but it still seemed off but it ran. i had a mechanic adjust the timing and tune it but the result was the same. what the problem to me, it is sluggish at initial take off then bucks at about 35 like the timing is off. the carb has been rebuilt and calibrated for this type of truck. motor sounds great even when you rev it up.
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Have you verified that the cat converter is not blocked? If the Converter is blocked it can casue similar symptoms...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Going to replace the exhaust system this week. i didn't even think it may be the issue all along. will let you know
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Cool,

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>> My Profile Page <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.