sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Soft touch tailgate button clicks but does not open or close

Customer Question

soft touch tailgate button clicks but does not open or close tailgate
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: from the soft touch button, when I touch the button to open or close/ been going on about three days
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2009 dodge grand caravan SXT 3.8
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: if I can follow the directions I can fix, if too involved I wont. I have tried nothing except observed it happens manually and with fob
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are several things that can prevent the power liftgate from working. The problem could be mechanical or electrical. A bad latch is the most common cause if the liftgate doesn't attempt to move at all.

If you press the unlock button on the key fob and try to open it manually what does it do?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
In my chat I answered the question about using the fob. I get the same response as when I touch the soft touch button

I know that it will not open under power. The other option is to open it manually at the liftgate itself. After unlocking the doors what happens if you try to open the liftgate by hand?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am able to open the tailgate ONLY MANUALLY by using my hand and manually pushing the gate up and that is thee same way I am Able to close it. My problem is ONLY with theTOUCH BUTTON using my finger at the button or using the fob

There isn't a mechanical failure of the latch then but it may be a failure of one of the switches in it.

Does the warning chime sound when trying to open it electrically?