Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

My abs activates every time I get down to about 3-5 mph. No

Customer Question

My abs activates every time I get down to about 3-5 mph. No warning lights on dash. Any ideas?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Is the abs light on the dash on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No sir. No ABS light warning light and no BRAKE warning light
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Most common cause for the abs to activate is the abs module.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you referring to the ABS control module that is mounted on the fender under the hood?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

yes

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

could also be an abs pump motor problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I replace that or am I stuck with trying to find one in a junkyard? Just to be sure...it's the one with the brake lines connected to it and two wire harnesses?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

This is part of the hydraulic control unit. try to get the abs module and control unit as an assembly if going used. The pump motor is in the HCU.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

HYDRAULIC CONTROL UNIT (HCU)

Removal & Installation (Rear Wheel ABS)

Disconnect HCU harness connector from CAB. Disconnect brakelines from HCU. Remove HCU mounting bolt and remove HCU. To install, reverse removal procedure. Tighten HCU mounting bolt to specification. Tighten HCU brakelines to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS . Bleed brake system. See BLEEDING BRAKE SYSTEM .

Removal & Installation (4 Wheel ABS)

The CAB and HCU are integrated into one unit, the anti-lock control assembly. HCU replacement requires replacement of HCU and pump/motor as an assembly. See Figure . Remove the anti-lock control assembly from vehicle and separate CAB from HCU and pump/motor assembly. See ANTI-LOCK CONTROL ASSEMBLY (4 WHEEL ABS ONLY) .

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks,

ASE Master Technician

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If this assembly is the problem, would it store a code in the computer? I connected a scan tool and it read both front ABS sensors, left and right. Would it be possible that both abs sensors are bad?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

It may not set a code. if you have codes for the sensors I would focus on diagnosing those codes first. Have you had it rescanned after replacing the sensor?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I replaced the drivers side sensor today and had it scanned. It still read both sensors. I did disconnect the battery after the installation but not sure if that would clear the code or not. So I ordered the passenger side sensor and will replace it tomorrow
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Do you know the code numbers?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Damn! He didn't give me the numbers. He just told me it was still showing both sides
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

You really need a scan tool to get the codes, and also view live data of the actual wheel speed. You could see if they are reading in real time with a scan tool.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would it be worth a shot to replace the sensor? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy the scan tool?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

You don't know for sure that the sensor is the problem. You could take it to a shop for diagnosis and then replace the parts yourself.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks