Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified

In my Dodge Ram the water in fuel light came on and chimed

Customer Question

The water in fuel light came on and chimed. When I could I pulled over and drained the fuel as it says to, ran it quite a bit. Drove again and it came on again 20 minutes later, no chime. Did this a month ago. 60000 + miles and never had problem.
I have a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 4 x 4.
I just drained the fuel and ran more out when valve wasn't closed all the way when I started engine. Closed it then drove off. 20 minutes later it came on with no chime, then eventually went off. Did the same thing a month ago. I called my service reps and they would not let me drive it by to check it, and would not advise me on what it could be, if it was safe to drive or what to do.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question.
Sounds like you picked up a load of contaminated fuel.
At this time, to avoid engine damage, I HIGHLY recommend to drop the fuel tank and flush it out thoroughly and replace the fuel filter. When filter is out, thoroughly clean out the fuel filter housing and make sure that there is no debris in the fuel filter housing before replacing the fuel filter.
Reassemble everything and add fresh fuel to the tank (Fill it up) and then all should be fine and hopefully no further concerns...
Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...
Thank you