Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified

On my Dodge AC temp is cool but not really cold

Customer Question

Trying to diagnose an A/C issue. A/C temp is cool but not really cold. Freon level is good. Main fan and Efan are working. Trying to check the operation of the blend door before I start replacing compressors and such. I had a 96 Ram 1500 that had a broken blend door that caused this problem. Thought that might be the same on my 01 Dakota 4.7. The temp control does work. You can feel air turning warm when you turn it up to warm. I had heard that the servo had a plastic gear that sometimes failed and wondered if it was closing the blend door completely. Is there a relatively simple way to check that?
I have checked the coolant level and the hoses for leaks. So far we have checked freon level and engine fan operations. If the compressor is going bad I will have that done by someone else.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. Please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
Dakotas have a cam with grooves that turns to position the doors. Sometimes the pivot pins come out of the cam grooves and cause various a/c flow and heating issues. This cam is located just to the driver side of the center area of the dash underneath above the accelerator and brake pedals. Check this cam to see if it is installed properly before going any further with this..

Here are a couple pics from the driver floor area showing the part in question. It is the round thing located beneath the actuator..

--->> Click Here to view <<---

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Make sure all pins are in their correct groove or track in the cam and all should be well.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you