Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

With seat belt engaged my light stays on and chimes, seat

Customer Question

with seat belt engaged my light stays on and chimes
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: seat belt light and air bag light
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2011 dodge ram 1500
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes have unhooked front seat belt sensors one at a time nothing changes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no i use seat belts always but dont know what else to do
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Youhave a failed seat belt switch in one of the front belt buckles. Have you had the air bag diagnostic trouble codes checked yet to see which one it is?

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Like I said unhooked one at a time and still stays on
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have in hooked from under seat I was told sensor on top side of belt to. Not sure how to check them
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Already gave u credit card information
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm assuming this service is a scam
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

The switches are not simple on/ swiitches. There is a resistor in them so simply disconnecting them will not tell you which one is bad. So when you disconnect them, the lights will stay on. You need to get the airbag codes read to see which one is the defective one.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

No this service is not a scam. I am actually a shop foreman at a CDJR dealer and know this airbag system very well.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok so diffenantly one of seat belts in front are bad so if I replace both then should take care of problem?
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Yes, unless there is an open circuit between one of the belt buckles and the air bag module. if you would like a diagnostic procedure and/or wiring diagram for those circuits, let me know and I will be happy to send it to you.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok air bag light on also did not tell u that earlier but it has been on for 6 months
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Ah, ok, well that may be a clock spring or some other air bag sensor/circuit, but again if you can get a scan tool that will communicate with the air bag module, then you will be able to see what is keeping that light on.

Some auto parts stores may have a scan tool that will communicate with the module, so check with them, they usually do that for free.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

I was just looking at the wiring diagram for your truck and see that it only shows a buckle switch for the driver's side and not the passenger side. So if you just want to try replacing the buckle, just do the driver's side.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hello? Are you still there?

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I believe I will do that and go fromthere
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

ok Sounds like a plan. I hope I have been helpful, and if so, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service today? I get no credit for this unless you do. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me, and can send diagrams if you need them.

Thank you!

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
going to try that next
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Ok, thank you! Just use the just answer star rating system to rate my service.

Like I said, I will still be here for you even after you rate.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Are you able to see the expert rating stars / system?

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.
Please let me know why you can't or do not want to rate my service. This way I can hopefully provide better service to future customers. Thanks!