Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Nothing that a tick of dynamite wouldn't fix lol, 2008 dodge

Customer Question

nothing that a tick of dynamite wouldn't fix lol
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2008 dodge sprinter diesel 3500 series
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: it has 207,459 kilometers and it was just serviced 2 weeks ago
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my friend is a mechanic and the key won't engage with the starter
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i don't know why dodge dealers build vehicle with the idea that they have a monopoly on repairing the same vehicles after it has been purchased
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

What is the exact symptom when you try to start the vehicle? Has it been scanned for codes? Has the battery under the driver floorboard been tested or replaced recently?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Robert
The battery has been tested now where can I get a list of these codes and what are they for please
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

What were the results of the battery test?

The codes are retrieved by using a code reader or scanner, this diagnostic readout box connects to the onboard diagnostic port and communicates with the onboard modules to retrieve codes. What I need is the result of the battery test, any codes that are retrieved from the vehicle and if you have access to a multi meter so we can do some electrical testing..

Also, exactly what happens when you try to start it? Do you get at least a click?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>> My Profile Page <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Robert what other way is there too find out the codes when you can't get it started
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately, on a Sprinter, there is no other way to retrieve the codes than to scan for codes using a code reader or a scanner. Another option that sometimes works with sprinters is a "Scangauge".

Click Here.

If you obtain one of these, you should be able to read the codes. Post all codes here and I'll do my best to help...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert