-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

My 2008 dodge ram diesel truck smokes black when the out

Customer Question

My 2008 dodge ram diesel truck smokes black when the out side air temp. gets above 70 deg. The wormer the out side air temp. gets the more it smokes black and it loses power. What causes this?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 9 months ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

What codes are setting? Do you have a P2262 code and have you had the ECM updated recently?

Talk soon

Brad

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No codes and I did have the ECM updated.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 9 months ago.

When you drive it and press the exhaust brake button to engage it, do you hear the turbo whistling when you slow down and when you speed up does it feel like it has full boost? When you had the actuator off did you move the slider ring back and forth stop to stop?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Exhaust brake seems to work properly and the slide ring moves easily back and forth.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 9 months ago.

When did this start, and have you had the 65k emission cleaning performed? Is the air filter in good shape? Is your tailpipe black or clean?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the only time this happens is when the out side air is worm,in the morning when the temp,is in the 40 and 50 deg. the truck
runs great with no smoke. This started about 30 days ago the air cleaner is clean and the tail pipe is black. The truck has 100350 miles on it. I have it serviced on a regular basses.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My dodge mechanic does not know what is wrong.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My mechanic feels if it is a censer it would give a cod, I wonder if it is a censer?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you still there???
Expert:  -Brad- replied 9 months ago.
With a black tailpipe your DPF is busted and it will need to be replaced.. Do you have a programmer on it or is it stock?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a programmer on it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What is a DPF ?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 9 months ago.
Ok if you have a programmer that deletes the DPF then a black tailpipe is ok. The DPF is the diesel particulate filter. When it starts smoking black what is the fuel rail pressure.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not know what the rail pressure is, My mechanic did replace the fuel pump when this first started and he said the rail pressure was good.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for trying to help.