Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

If it is the injection pump how do we verify it??? Code has

Customer Question

If it is the injection pump how do we verify it??? Code has not reset but that may be because we can't drive it any where normally. Can the controller be replaced in the field? How do we check the ECM (the one mounted behind the fuel filter on the left side of engine block) Do not have access to a DRB scanner. Scanner information given is actually very limited. Truck is on an island off the coast of Calif. so would be very expensive and time consuming to take it to a dealer for any type of diagnostic procedure. I am a certified ASE Master Mechanic with advanced/automotive engine performance certification. All those certs do not help if you don't have the tools or diagnostic literature available. If I close this link can I return to it without paying another fee. Just so you know Dodge recommended to replace the MAP sensor with their new updated one and to also replace the wiring pigtail at the sensor. Instead my supervisor got a replacement sensor from Car Quest. Have a 1998 Dodge here with the 5.9 Diesel engine also and tne scan tool shows the MAP reading with KOEO at 14.G. Why the difference in readings on the MAP sensor? Please Help. Not sily but do not wish to just sit back and throw parts at this thing like Ric suggested. Could have done that already. Earl
JA: Have you seen this code before? Have you tried a hard reset?
Customer: Not seen this code on the truck before and that code was set on 5-18-16, Replaced the MAP sensor cleared codes and did a hard reset then. Have only about 10 miles on truck since then but no code reappears.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Hoping to repair it. Look at the above answer for what I have done so far.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not really that is why I have called you because I have just about exhausted all avenues of repair that I can think of. Hopefully a helping hand will direct me onto the correct path for prper repairs.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ric replied 2 months ago.

Good evening Earl....This is Ric...I am a certified ASE tech with 30 years working for Chrysler/Dodge. I have serviced and repaired hundreds of these diesels from 1988 to now. This is a common failure with this pump...And by no means am i advocating just throwing parts at this truck. There are not parts available to repair this fault code....Because the injection pump controller (the black box on top of the VP44 pump ) has failed. And furthermore i advocate the replacement of the lift pump to protect the new injection pump.....Ric

Expert:  Ric replied 2 months ago.

Your payment for the extra service has failed...

Expert:  Ric replied 2 months ago.

is there anything i can help you with Sir??