Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

2012 Ram 2500, clock spring was just replaced and i noticed

Customer Question

2012 Ram 2500, clock spring was just replaced and i noticed my electronic stability control light is on and my cruise will turn on and off but i cant set it
JA: While using the cruise control can you accelerate or decelerate? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: the cruise will only come on and i cant set it. i accelerated and decelerates fine. havent checked fuses
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i replaced the clock spring with step by step instructions. all other buttons on steering wheel now work but the cruise wont set and the ESC light is on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is all
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did the cruise and esp issues occur before and after the clock spring was replaced or only after?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
nothing on the steering wheel worked including the cruise control before the clockspring was replaced. the esc light was not on until after the new clockspring
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Try this,try starting the vehicle and turn the steering in one swift motion all the way to one side and without stopping all the way the other direction a few times until the steering stops in each direction.Don't do this to fast but make sure it is in a constant motion.In some cases this relearns the steering position and may correct the esp issue here.Let me know if this works first and we can continue.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did it about 3 times in each direction and nothing happened
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

O.k.,you will need to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set with this issue here.I have seen issues with wiring running from the steering coil in the steering column becoming chafed needing repaired or replaced as well as the new coil you received may be faulty out of the package and may need replaced under parts warranty from the facility you had purchased it from.But the codes do need checked with a fully compatible scan tool to see what codes are set and those codes then diagnosed and repaired to correct this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete