Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

The dodge dealer told me that the u joints on the front

Customer Question

The dodge dealer told me that the u joints on the front drive shaft were dry and that they didn't replace them and could only replace the total front drive shaft at $700+. Can I not simply replace the u joints some how?
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: RAM 3500 2007 4x4
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will take it to another pro, if there is another methiod, other than replaceing the total shaft
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: do you know the new u joint part number for reference?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The U joints are built with the drive shaft itself and a dealer can only obtain the complete shaft with joints.In some cases you may have a local drive line repair facility in your area or machine shop (as most towns/cities do) that can replace just the u joints on this shaft as I have seen before in some cases.You would have to check locally with parts stores and repair facilities to see if you can get the joints replaced separately on this model here.It can be done on some models but others it is not an option.I do not see it as an option myself from here but drive line repair facilities have more options,parts and tools for some of these to replace them.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete