Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

I am on the road 1000 miles from home and my b250 keeps

Customer Question

I am on the road 1000 miles from home and my b250 keeps overheating. I took out the thermostat, put on a new radiatior cap, repaired a leaking heater hose, tightened all the leaking water pump bolts and it still overheats. I looked in the radiator and it looked liked lots of water was flowing across the internal radiator pipes so it seems to me the water pump should be working fine. I can go about 10 minutes before it overheats. Any suggestions what might be the problem?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

In allot of cases this type of fault here can be due to a leaking cylinder head gasket.This type of leak wont show up as a leak externally or oil and coolant mixing in some cases as it is a leak where the exhaust heat and gasses are passing across the gasket into the cooling system.I have seen this several times before in the past and had to replace the affected cylinder head gasket for this issue here.

What needs to be done is to have a cylinder block test done with a block tester.This usually takes less then an hour to do and most repair facilities will have this tester for this testing.You can also rent or purchase this tester from a parts store.It sits on top of the radiator inlet where you add coolant and a blue fluid is put into the reservoir on the tester then the engine ran and if the fluid bubbles and/or turns green this indicates a cylinder head gasket failure.

The other issues I have seen with what has been covered here is a fault with the radiator fins being clogged up needing cleaned out or bent needing replaced as well as the fan not operating as it should.As the fan clutch kicks in when the engine is hot you should be able to hold a piece of paper up to the radiator on the outside of the vehicle and it should suck it against the radiator and if it doesnt then most likely the fan clutch needs replaced.Also keep in mind with the thermostat removed this can cause an over heat condition as well in long drives.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete