Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs

1999 Durango with about 200,000 miles on it. I keep it tuned

Customer Question

1999 Durango with about 200,000 miles on it. I keep it tuned up & it still runs pretty good for it's age. Had the transmission overhauled about 2 years ago & have had no problems till last few months. Randomly, while driving the O/D light comes on & stays on till engine is shutoff. Restarting right away turns the light off until it just suddenly comes on again in a few days or weeks. Took it back to transmission shop (no lite on, of course) & they checked it over & could not find any problems or codes.
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: Transmission shop does & no codes recorded.
JA: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: other than checking the fluid level, nothing. That's why I took it to the transmission shop.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Your overdrive light comes on when the system sees a fault and if the light is coming on then the computer system has to be setting a fault code. Im not sure why your transmission shop is not finding a fault code. I would try running a scan at another shop when the light is on and see if they can retrieve a code. If you can get the fault code and or codes I will help you determine the cause.