Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified

I have a 2006 dodge ram 3500 automatic diesel which will not

Customer Question

i have a 2006 dodge ram 3500 automatic diesel which will not turn over. We can only hear a click, we have replaced the starter relay, checked all fuses, cleaned all grounds, tried another starter and other batteries still wont start or turn over. Engine turns over with a bar without any sign of engine failure in fact it is a brand new rebuild one month old. Any ideas
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 2 months ago.

Hi there.

When the ignition is turned to START, is power getting to the Yellow/Gray wire at the starter?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Checking it right now
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Getting a friend to click ignition to start while holding multimeter to terminal on solenoid of starter correct

Any updates?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Waiting on employee to call me back with answer who is with the truck

I'm sorry, but I need to log out for the day. Hopefully another expert will pick-up the diagnosis from this point forward.

Good Luck.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Really that's not cool for thirty bucks
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

I'm taking over for Juan, I'll wait for your response for the test for power at the starter wire...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well it tests same as battery and we pulled starter out when this first started doing this and got another one from orileys the only place open at the time and it still didn't kick over but the starter feels warm like it is the problem maybe my employee didn't connect up correctly or orileys sold us bad starter but it seems pretty wierd I think maybe my employee didn't do shit and now that a couple other people are watching I don't know , fly wheel looks OK auto transport was changed 500 miles ago it's just wierd any thoughts. I had read that 2006 a new module was added for start function which controls start function and that has been a problem on some of the 06 trucks. I have 9 cummins in fleet so not my first rodeo but this shit is driving me nuts
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I meant automatic
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

Do you know the exact symptom that happens when they try to start it? Single click, Multiple clicks, no click at all? Has the battery cables and battery voltages been tested?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Single click no turn over , 12.6 volts at solenoid positive same at starter but no drawdown which is strange, no evidence of flywheel wear and engine bars over so it must be starter but will not have one to try until tomarrow
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

As long as the batteries pass the load test and the battery cables are not corroded, I agree with you that the starter may be faulty.

Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>> My Profile Page <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.