Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I have a 95 Dodge Dakota, 3.9. No power to the coil. Checked

Customer Question

I have a 95 Dodge Dakota, 3.9. No power to the coil. Checked continuity to both the green/orange wire and the white wire all the way the the ECM and both show good conductivity. Is there some kind of tests I can perform on the ECM?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: No power anytime
JA: What year is your Dakota?
Customer: 95
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Checked all fuses and have replaced coil, distributor cap, rotor, sensor plate in distributor and crankshaft sensor on back of block. Ran continuity test on both wires to coil all the way to ecm, both wires show good continuity.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Truck was running fine, shut it off and wouldn't start again.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The sensor in the distributor I referred to is actually called the Distributor ignition pickup.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also, my employee who drove the truck last said the brake pedal went to the floor as he parked it for the last time. Is there any safety feature that would shut down ignition system due to brake failure?
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 3 months ago.

Dodge uses the famously annoying auto shut down relay to power the coil and injectors. Pop it out and jump terminals 30 and 87 and see if it starts. I'll post its location below

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No change.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What's next?
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 3 months ago.

Hi, different expert here. Do you still need help with this issue?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no change

I'm sorry for the delay. I got called away.

So, let me get this clear; there is no system voltage to either side of the ignition coil when the ignition switch is turned to RUN? If so, have you checked whether or not the ASD relay is getting power? - I assume you're using a voltmeter...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That's correct. I used both a voltmeter and a test light and get nothing. I assume that is the auto shutdown relay. What is the test for it. I did jumper terminals 30 & 87 but haven't tested for voltage going to the ASD.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just tested voltage to the ASD and got 12.5 volts at terminal 30.

OK. If terminal 30 has power and you jumpered 30 and 87 and still had no power at the coil, then there is is an open in the circuit. Does the ASD relay click when the ignition is turned on? if yes, piggy back a wire from the ASD relay terminal 87 to the positive side of the coil. Check for power at the injectors. If good, try to start the engine.

Login out for the day. Will be back tomorrow and every weekday thereafter from 2 to 8PM AST. Hope to hear from you then.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, the relay does not click.

With ignition on, check ASD for ground at terminal 85 and for voltage at terminal 86.

If no ground at terminal 85, check continuity on the Dark Blue/Yellow wire all the way to PCM pin 51. If OK, either the PCM itself is faulty or it's not getting power and ground - will need a DRB-III or equivalent scan tool to continue diagnosis.

If no voltage at terminal 86, check fuse 14. If voltage OK, disconnect negative battery cable and check continuity on the Dark Blue wire from terminal 86 to fuse ox14 in the fuse b. Repair as needed.