EricFromCT, Dodge Technician
Experience:  17 years experience

08 dodge ram 1500 with 5.7 engine keeps turning over and not

Customer Question

08 dodge ram 1500 with 5.7 engine keeps turning over and not starting even after I let go of key. I disconnected the battery for a number of hours and hoped maybe a computer reset would do the job. No joy. I depressed the valve on the fuel rails and no gas came out. I did this as my wife turned the engine over. I then shot some starter fluid in and it did fire. I don't know if this is a fuel pump issue or a relay or what. Checked every fuse but nothing is wrong. Any ideas?
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Actually I just turned the wheel and it did turn even with key out. Should be locked. I thought about the key but I even used the spare which is not worn but with the same result.
JA: What year is your Ram 1500?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to but may need to take it in for a diagnostic. Too many things it could be. Like I mentioned, I disconnected the battery for a while to try to reset computer. I checked all fuses. I checked to see if there was fuel in the rails. Doesn't seem to be. Starter fluid did get it to fire so there is spark. You made me think when you asked about the steering. The wheel should be locked when the key is out but it isn't. Does that tell you anything?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I can't think of anything off hand. It does have over 250,000 miles on it but have had no problems.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 2 months ago.

Hi. It is most likely that you need a fuel pump. The quickest and easiest check is to access the fuel pump connector on the top of the fuel tank, and check if it is getting power on the orange/red wire. Is that something you can/know how to do?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
would not getting fuel cause the engine to keep turning over even after I let go of the key?

That has nothing to do with fuel. The ignition is just a switch and as soon as you turn it the engine cranks for a predetermined time. It has always done that. You just have not noticed because it always started.