Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

I have a 1998 dodge Durango 5.9 Recently whenever I start,

Customer Question

I have a 1998 dodge Durango 5.9
Recently whenever I start, it idles erratically, stutters and low and after couple minutes it normals out. There is no check engine light on. What could cause that?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 months ago.

Hello, although not there, My thoughts are this. one of 2 things, You either have a fule pressure regulator that is bleeding back and upon restart, the fuel lines self bleed and during this all the symptoms you have, The other option? you hav one or so fuel injectors that have dirty pintles. the injectors ar not 100% closing persay so a little fuel continues to drip into some of the cylinders and when you restart, it is kind of flooded on a cylinder or more. so to try and do a DIY repair for that? one would get a good product like Seafoam, add to tank at double strength and drive for few days to help clean them,. A shop? well they have real good fuel injector cleaning machines with strong chemicals to clean injectors. I would surely start with a good tank additive and give it some time to work,. This is not that uncommon for an older vehicle etc and should be done say once per year

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

What the customer said , was the vehicle used to start normal, but one day a heater hose blew out and the temp gauge went to 3/4 before turning off . we replaced the heater hose, refill with coolant and now we have that idle problem. The vehicle drives fine, only startup is giving that problem.

well, this is added information, If it ran hot, one does run the risk that say an intake gasket or even hedgasket was damaged and coolant is weeping into a cylinder, may be very very little , enough to affect startup running . I do not beleive that anything ignition wise was affected etc, The high spike in temp could have affected a coolant gasket,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I did compress check and it is good. leak test of radiator is good only start rough for 1 minute and run good all day.. does this vehicle has a cold start sensor

Im going to opt out, your tests will dot confirm what i feel the problem is. Another expert should be long soon to help. Save the rating for the expert that can help

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! Different expert here. The fuel pressure needs to be checked and verified that it is not leaking down while the engine is turned off. This could also be a bad TPS, engine coolant temp sensor, valve sealing issue or even primary or secondary ignition related.