sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Have 1990 dodge ram 50 2.4l. I'm working on installing an

Customer Question

Have 1990 dodge ram 50 2.4l. I'm working on installing an msd street fire box and I'm having trouble finding diagrams for the 4 wire harness that comes off the distributor. I need to identify the wires so I can figure out how to wire In the magnetic pickup trigger.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 4 months ago.

Welcome,

I have been a professional master mechanic for over 35 years and am happy to help you with this.

Let me pull up the ignition wiring diagram for you Thomas. Be right back.

Here it is my friend.

Pretty simple install.

Click here

Any other questions just reply

Larry

please use the required rating stars at the top of the page for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The wires in question are black yellow white and red. Coming from the dist. The diagram you sent has them being different

Hmm..as you can see that was the right diagram for that vehicle. Not sure why the wire colors are different.

What is the production date on the door sticker?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Actually they're the colors describe on the flip side of that connector. But the purpose of me asking is to identify which two of those 4 I can use to wire in this cdi box

I wouldnt know that without being there and reviewing the kit you bought. I will see if someone else can figure it out for you. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need to know which of those wires are for ignition timing signal, and which are for fuel injection reference signal
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I put off installing this streetfire msd box till I could talk to somebody at msd. Cause Im not 100% on which wires from my distributor to use for the magnetic pickup wires from the box.

The cam sensor is what is in the distributor, I doubt that you're going to be connecting to the cam sensor wires.

Let me know if they are unable to help.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was under the understanding that the 4 wires from the ecu to the distributor were timing signal and fuel injection reference signal

There are two sensors in the distributor, crank and top dead center (cam). These are 5v square wave signals. The crank signal is four pulses per revolution, cam is one pulse.