Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2000 dodge dakota 4.7 will start and run perfectly for about

Customer Question

2000 dodge dakota 4.7 will start and run perfectly for about 10 minutes then die. Get "no bus" indication on odometer. On cool days the truck will run fine. Hot days sometimes it will not start at all. Changed pcm and no better. Had new pcm tested and it is good. Auto shutdown relay is probably being triggered.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I changed the pcm, crankshaft and camshaft sensors. I need other possible causes and to walk me through diagnosis. I am a novice at these new vehicles.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

No problem. Have you checked the powers and grounds going into the PCM when this occurs? If not, this is your next step.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do you do this? I am old school Mechanic with no experience on these computer vehicles. If you could walk me through this that would be great!
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Sure thing. You need to check the powers and grounds going into the PCM using a voltmeter when the problem occurs. The key must be in the ON position when running this test.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Powers and grounds at the Powertrain Control Module on pins 2 and 22 for the power, then pins 31 and 32 for ground on the C1 connector at the PCM.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay. I will be home tomorrow and can do some tests. Will be in touch tomorrow. Thanks!
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Sounds good! Just a heads up, I work all day today but will be back on line tonight. Talk to you then.