Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

I have an 03 dodge 2500 with a 5.9L cummins and it looses

Customer Question

i have an 03 dodge 2500 with a 5.9L cummins and it looses power at 2000 rpm.
it will only rev up 2500 rpm. i hsd some injector problems snd i replaced all six of them but it still does not have any power after 2000 rpm
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 2 months ago.

Hi there.

If there are no trouble codes present, the symptom you describe could be caused by a restricted fuel filter. You might have gotten a bad batch of fuel at your last stop. Change the fuel filter and look for water or algae in the canister. Disconnect the fuel line that comes from the tank and blow backward toward the tank to clear any blockage at the pickup.
You say it has no power over 2000 RPM; does it pull hard on grades at just below 2000? Will it only rev to 2000 even in neutral? In other words is it a load based problem or and RPM problem? Load based probably means fuel delivery.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
pulls hard to 2000 rpm and then falls on its face. At idle it revs to 2500 rpm and thats it. while driving it will go to 2500 rpm. theres red in the filter housing i thought someone might have put off road diesel in it but not sure. also i replaced the fuel filter already

Sounds like it's starving for fuel under load. There should not be anything but clean diesel in that filter housing. I would start by thoroughly cleaning that housing and installing a fresh new filter. If you suspect what's currently in the tank is contaminated, you might want to rig a temporary supply tank for testing purposes.

By any chance, do you have access to a scan tool that can read data such as fuel pressures, etc.?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a genesis evo and it wont read fuel pressure. i haave no codes

No codes is an indication that there are no faults with the system, which makes me believe it is indeed a fuel supply issue.