Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

Will not shift out of low gear just bought this 2000 ram

Customer Question

Will not shift out of low gear just bought this 2000 ram sport the speeddometer is sticky and was haveing vocational delay on shift 3200 rpm
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: No idea on the age and and light is on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet believe it could be the speed senser on the rear end as the speed dometer is not working
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Was driveing through high weeds shortly before it quit shift completely could just be torn wire
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Transmission Output speed sensor will cause this problem. This is a common problem. I would check all the wiring as well make sure there are not broken wires. Sounds like you transmission is in limp mode.

You need to scan the trans for codes and view live data to fully diagnose this problem. You will need a shop quality scan tool to do this as well. A code reader will not work.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

ASE Master Technician