Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

Truck will not start in the mornings. Turns over and

Customer Question

Truck will not start in the mornings. Turns over and sputters. Eventually starts. So, we spent $500.00 yesterday for a new fuel pump, and this morning the same thing happened. Took 15 minutes to start
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: It was the original. Replaced with brand new one yesterday.
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 sport cab 2002
JA: What year is your Ram 1500?
Customer: 2002
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Husband is going to check the fuse. I also read that if there is too much air, truck will not start. Vacuum hose
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of. Thank you
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Is the check engine light on? Has it been scanned for codes yet? If not Try this: Sometimes you can get the vehicle to display codes for you on the odometer. Get in the vehicle and close all the doors. Without starting the engine, cycle the ignition ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON within 5 seconds. Make sure to end in the ON position, and do it quickly within 5 seconds. Where the odometer is should now begin displaying "P-codes" (ie. P0455). Write down all of the codes and post them here... If you did it properly and there are no codes, it will display "DonE" on the odometer...

If that doesn't work (sometimes it doesn't) The best thing to do at this point is to scan for the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. This information is of great value for correct diagnosis. As a Technician, my first course of action is normally to scan for the DTC's. If you can obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem. You can have these Codes read for FREE at your local auto part store (AutoZone, O'Reileys, Advanced, etc.). If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the Concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for responding. My husband just left to get a new vent tube. Truck starts for the rest of the day after initial "irritation". When he gets back, can I contact you again? I am sorry he left. I told him I was trying to get more info.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you there Robert?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will try to connect with you when husband gets home