sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Well have a shudder from differential from startup, and also

Customer Question

well have a shudder from differential from startup, and also when turning the front end jumps. have had dodge dealer say they have never seen anything like it. had all front driveshafts checked as well as front diff checked. transfer case tore down to the case and checked. transmission and torque converter rebuilt and it is better but still there.
JA: Do you have the torque specs?
Customer: for what?
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2009 2500 megacab
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: what haven't we tried, everything but pinion's haven't been out of both diffs.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: when we had it on the hoist with all 4wheels turning in 4wd and start turning the steering wheel and the whole drivetrain would start hopping with no load. driveline specialist has checked out all front driveshafts for u-joints and even put new driveline between transfer case and front diff.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, sounds like a doozie you got there my friend. Has anyone bothered looking at the front control arm bushings? if they are wallowed out, it will feel like something is wrong with the transmission as the vehicle will jump when put in gear. also have the front shocks/struts checked.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As the wheels are free wheeling and you turn the steering wheel the whole drivetrain would Stratton hopping. Since then we have had the converter rebuilt and he found some dampener springs broken but said that would not cause that hopping, did a refresh of the tranny with pump and valve body replaced. The hopping of the drivetrain is not as bad but even going around a curve at Hiway speed to the right and the front end wants to hop. All stock, non lift kronor anything.

what about the propeller shaft being out of balance? I have had a couple of vehicles with similar conditions, not easy to diagnose for sure, but I would tape weights to the propeller shaft, test drive and the vibration/shake would dissipate.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Propeller shaft being the pinion shaft? Or the driveline between transfer case and front diff. Fairly new shaft.

there both called a propeller shaft, but the one from the pinion to the transfer case. I have also found on one vehicle the front propeller shaft being bad(too much play where it goes into the transfer case. actually had to have a replacement made by a local shop. worked perfect after that.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry, if we yank that shaft off that should eliminate that)

Not saying you should yank anything out my friend. just letting you know my experiences with kind of similar issues. When it comes to drivetrain problems most times its a fixable issue. but also most of the time the problems vary from vehicle to vehicle especially if there isnt a documented history of complaints of the same problem for the same type vehicle.

the vehicle is a 4wd so the transfer case and front differential dont even come into play when driving normally. so what ties them together? the transfer case and the front propeller shaft. how does it drive in 4wd?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No problem, just saying that if we took that driveshaft off that would isolate the problem down to being in the front diff? This has been a great truck until these issues showed up at 395000 k. We have been chasing this on and off for a year now.

in 4wd is when your problem appears, sorry i just saw that

pull the front propeller shaft and the problem should go away, but on some vehicles there is a failsafe system that when that is done the vehicle wont move. not sure about yours though. give it a shot

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there any history about pinion bearings having issues? That is about the only thing that hasn't been touched upon?

I will check on that, but there is a history of the wrong type fluids used in the diffs that wreak all kind of havoc. I will check back with you. I have to get my butt to my shop.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.

the first 2 are recalls. the last 2 are tsb's

could have something to do with your issue

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well i talked with my mechanic the other day and he did not add any extra oil for limited slip differentials so i added some yesterday. Just about scary on the hi-way and do a curve at 100k and the truck starts hopping but maybe the rear diff would not slip at all? Either that or have tow issues and maybe need to do more front end work as have seen some people add a whole extra steering arm up front. BUt my Dodge dealer confirmed yesterday that my front diff has nothing extra but the rear one has some limited slip feature. Will take to town today and see if that has solved it. thx

What actual symptoms are you experiencing?
Did this start after the differentials were drained?
What fluid were they filled with?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
After adding the additive things have definetley gotten much better with the shuddering seems to have stopped. Still a bit if a vibration and the rear end still sounds loud to me but i think we'll go with it until something more substantive shows up. Vibration could be tires but i can live with it i think. Would like it to run smoother but for now it will do. thx
I hope that takes care of it.