Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

Im having difficulties with a dodge of mine overheating,

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: im having difficulties with a dodge of mine overheating
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: definitely..i just replaced the thermostat and performed a complete cooling system flush
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: the air is bled out of the system completely
JA: What year is your Dodge?
Customer: it is an 08 6.7 cummins
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: im a diesel mechanic
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the vehicle runs at 195 at idle then under any load it overheats to about 225 and up
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. You can have that tested at a radiator shop or feel around the core when the engine is hot to see if there are any cool spots that would indicate a clog.

However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

Block tester available is:

Napa BK.(###) ###-####/p>

Part Number:

*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will test it for hydrocarbons. I already have a tester. My problem with that however is that in the past I have used it trying to eliminate a bad head gasket and the fluid color did not change. Came to find out that the head had a small crack in the back side. This truck has previously had an EGR delete and is now back to factory standard with all EGR components installed. It still has a tuner on it but is at factory levels. The temp seems to only start to go over 225 after a solid 30 minutes of run time under slight load. I pyrod the inlet and outlet of the radiator and seem to have a very good temperature change. My gut feeling is a crack in the head again but am unsure how to completely gather the evidence here to tear down. Can I run the vehicle with a pressure tester attached and see if there is a spike in pressure from exhaust gasses?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this previously was on the same year make and model
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

I see, thanks. The pressure gauge may show a spike but it is hard to be sure even with that. You wouldn't want to drive with the system sealed up, as I'm sure you know. Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
however last time I had coolant flowing out of the overflow reservoir when it reached operating temp and it would only spike up to 245 temporarily.n This truck is staying consistent at 225 until it decides to stretch up to 240
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

They will sometimes give different symptoms, depending on where or how bad the compromise is within the engine. We can discuss it for as long as time will allow and still not know until the test is done. Thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it. Thanks

I do not have access to your email address,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am testing for hydrocarbons now
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

Okay, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this truck will not get above 192 with the radiator cap off of it. tested negative for hydrocarbons
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

That sounds like a restricted radiator for sure.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
even if it has at least a 30 to 40 temperature change between the inlet and outlet?
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
any recommendations as to how to go about resolving the issue? send it out to a shop?? remove it and spray it out again? I already flushed it with a garden hose but you think its still restricted...?
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

Normally we get paid for the original answer(s) before any follow ups, but yes that is the very first thing that I had suggested, (send it to a radiator shop) thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hello. got the radiator flushed and back flushed..radiator is fine...
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

That is all that I could think of on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 2 months ago.

Hi there.

That sure sounds like a bad head gasket/cracked head. When using a combustion leak detector, don't forget to add the fluid made for diesel engines (click here to see)

Login out for the day. Will be back next Monday and every weekday thereafter from 2 to 8PM AST. Hope to hear from you then.

Best Regards.