Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I Have a 1991 Dodge Ram 350 w 5.9litre. My engine cranks but

Customer Question

I Have a 1991 Dodge Ram b 350 w 5.9litre. My engine cranks but it does not get spark to the cap. Is there a crank position sensor on this vehicle or why would I not get spark from the coil?
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: It stalled once at a turn. Then I got it started once and drove for 1 mile and since then nothing?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have changed the coil, cap and rotor.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: This thing ran just fine and then this?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you post your full VIN number here so I can look up info on this motor?

Let me know as this will help,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2b7kb31z6mk459989
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Do you have a test light at all for testing electrical or multi meter?

Have you checked to make sure the rotor is in place and is still rotating when the engine is cranked over?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a test light and a multi meter.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Can you check and see if you have power on one wire at the coil and an intermittent ground signal on the other wire when cranking over the engine and let me know?Also check and see if the rotor is spinning when cranking over the engine.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have power to the positive terminal when cranking the motor
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The rotor also spins when cranking
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

O.k.,what about the negative wire is there a ground that is a solid ground with the key on or when cranking over the engine even a slight blink on the test light when cranking the engine?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
on the ground wire. Consistent.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

O.k.,did you test for spark right out of the coil at all?Take a test light to ground and carefully probe the spark output to see if spark jumps to the test light.Try not to get zapped.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No spark coming from the coil. At all?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is a replaced new coil?
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

O.k.,this model doesnt use a separate crank sensor for an rpm signal.Instead it used a hall effect pick up sensor in the distributor and some are replaced as an entire distributor.With the coil already replaced and having the proper ground and power signals I suspect this hall effect sensor has failed needing replaced.The distributor would need replaced as a complete assembly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2b0gqcgkpkdz44/hall-08-02.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete