xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  asetech
6149662

I have a Ram v6, 08. Used to run 200 deg all the time, rain

Customer Question

I have a Ram v6, 08. Used to run 200 deg all the time, rain or shine, summer or winter. Now it runs 206 to 211. It started overheating on the way back to CA from TX. I replaced t-stat, water pump, fan clutch, temp sensor. Temp sensor made the most difference. Also, gas mileage dropped a lot. No codes standing on OBD. What am I missing?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  xsvector replied 4 months ago.

how hot is it getting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
206 to 211
Expert:  xsvector replied 4 months ago.

thats not overheting...is it pushing coolant out of the resevoir?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Negative, then why would temp change and why would the mpg drop at the same time?
Expert:  xsvector replied 4 months ago.

is the radiator and condensor filled with bugs or debris?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Negative, they are clean, engine is clean, odo at 41k.
Expert:  xsvector replied 4 months ago.

did you install a factory t stat?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Affirmative, factory 195 deg t-stat.
Expert:  xsvector replied 4 months ago.

when it overheated how hot did it get?

Expert:  xsvector replied 4 months ago.

i need to step away from the computer for 20 let me know how hot it got when it overheated

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
initially, it went to 213 climbing the grade on I-10 in El Paso. After that, it would vary from 195 to 213. After replacing aforementioned parts, all OEM equivalent or premium parts from Rock Auto, it did the same thing until I changed the temp sensor after which it would stay in the 206 to 211 range. Temp sensor was last thing to be changed, other parts were changed 1 at a time. To me, something is wrong, the ECU sees that in the temp reading and adjust the A/F ratio up to keep it from pinging or knocking thus dropping mpg.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Going to Bible study in 5 minutes, back in 2-1/2 hrs. Please leave final pointers. No codes on OBD, also, it idles smoother, another indication to me that the A/F ratio is up.
Expert:  xsvector replied 4 months ago.

thats all within factory spec ..did you use all mopar parts?

Specification

Begin to open at 85.5 - 89.4°C. (186 - 193°F )
Fully open (valve will stop moving) at 97°C (207°F
try water wetter it helps reduce coolant temps... http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your help, John, I'm done.
Expert:  xsvector replied 4 months ago.

i use water wetter in all my race cars...it drops coolant temp,,,,the stuff is amazing..Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you..