Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

2004 Durango 4.7 Vehicle won't shift into gear but shifter

Customer Question

2004 Durango 4.7 Vehicle won't shift into gear but shifter moves to desired position. No movement in any gears. Replaced ecm/tcm. completed transmission flush with transmission pan filter change.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Vehicle randomly stopped one day, it wasn't shifting funny or acting out in any way. vehicle does have 222k on it
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Did you check and see if the shift cable came off at the shift lever or at the transmission?

Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the cable seemed fine, ill have to double check, when i put it in gear you can hear the vehicle idle different and hear a slight noise from transmission. like a small hum noise
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Is this a*****Durango?

Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Have you tried shifting into*****low range and see if it will move? Maybe the Transfer case failed, or it got placed into neutral accidentally.

Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yeah i went through all 3 stages and still no movement, it doesn't even try budge, it just idles louder and it won't even roll when in neutral for both transfer case and transmission. We had a person with a good computer hook up and it said it was the tcm. so we replaced that and as far as i researched and heard from a couple mechanics the tcm is built into ecm for the 4.7. and the 5.7 has separate modules. but the problem i had with the whole situation is that the check engine light wasn't on and that is just what showed up on computer but there wasn't an existing problem according to the computer. so I'm a little lost on it.
i did the transmission flush and filter change because i thought there was possibly a pressure problem and i know it hadn't been changed before
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

So wait, you cannot push the truck if the t case and/or transmission are in neutral?

Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i jacked it up on ramps and it won't even roll off the ramps. i have the shifter in neutral. and it won't move like its the cable but like i said the cable seemed fine so i thought it was a pressure problem so i did the filter change and that didn't do it and then they hooked up the computer and it said a tcm issue so i replaced that and it still doesn't move. so yeah I'm completely lost. when i dropped the pan there was no issue with shavings or anything. just used tranny fluid. so thats whats bugging me is the thing doesn't even roll.
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

It should roll if the transfer case is in neutral. Something else is going on here. I don't think this is transmission related. I am leaning more towards a brake that is locked up or a failed t case. Pull the 2 drive shafts off and see if it will roll. If it still will not, then it has to be a brake problem.

Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but even if its a brake problem i would still be able to power brake it or in 4 low i would drag it. ill give it a try and check the brakes is there any other sensors or ways to check transmission, or how to check t case.
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Well if it is the t case, then it will roll once you remove the drive shafts. If it still will not roll once the drive shafts are removed, then it has to be a brake issue or a broken differential?

Let me know how it goes

Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yeah i will, once i get going on it again will i be referred back to you again or will it give me someone random?
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Sounds good. I will keep this thread open and you can just reply back to me like you are doing now. Will keep an eye out for your reply.

Chris